Whenever I take Eden in for her routine check-ups I feel like I'm going to a job interview or something. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE her pediatrician...it's just that she is very "milestone" oriented and asks me tons of questions on new things Eden is doing or not doing based on her age. I know this is a good thing that her doctor is so thorough, but it makes me nervous. I feel like I have to prep for her appts ahead of time and have all the "right" answers. I know this is ridiculous and she is just trying to make sure Eden is developing as she should. But all babies are different and develop at their own pace. I hate feeling like I have a checklist of things she should/shouldn't be doing.
Fortunately, she says that Eden is developing wonderfully and is exactly where she should be for her age. I of course think she is "advanced" for her age. hahaha (but what parent doesn't) :) I am really amazed at how much she knows and understands at only 15 months! She pretty much understands everything I ask her to do, as far as simple commands. For instance, "go get XX", "bring XX here", "give mama hugs/kisses", etc. She knows what most of her things are called and will quickly bring them to me if I ask. She can pick out about 10 different pictures of things I ask, like baby, flower, angel, car, etc. She was given a very cool birthday gift I call her "learning apple". It has all sorts of pictures and sounds on it for her to learn with and this is one of her favorite toys. She still loves books and will bring several to me to read to her. If I'm on the floor with her, she plops herself down in my lap with a book as if to say "It's story time mama"! Another cool thing she can do is point to everything on her face (eyes, nose, ears, etc) when you ask where they are.
As far as verbally, she says a few things you can really understand like Mama, Dada, doggie, thank you. She is trying to say a lot more, but it's not quite understandable just yet. I guess the important thing is, is that she is trying. Her pediatrician says that by 18 months her vocabulary should double! Wow! I'm excited to see what these next words are gonna be. She also suggested teaching her some simple sign language terms as they will learn twice as many of these as they do verbalizing. We will see how that goes these next few months.
Other than that, she is the joy of my life! Spunky as ever, but so loving and playful. :)

That is AMAZING that your pediatrician is doing that. We try to train them to do that but very few do...including mine! I wish he would, because I'm pretty sure Jax is behind with language. In fact, I know he is. But he's not behind enough to qualify for services. It's a bummer. Anyway, Eden is ADORABLE and I wish I could see her! Sounds like she is doing wonderfully!
ReplyDeleteThank you Faith! I would love to see you guys too. Maybe one of these days we could meet up half way, like Vail or something.
Delete